How Long Does Covid Hair Loss Last?
Since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic many people have reported experiencing hair loss after being infected with the virus. Medically referred to as “telogen effluvium” this condition usually occurs due to a physical or emotional stressor that affects the normal hair growth cycle. Covid-19 being a highly stressful inflammatory disease can lead to hair loss in some individuals.
The Hair Growth Cycle
To understhair loss due to Covid-19 we must first comprehend the hair growth cycle. Hair grows in cycles with each strhaving a growth phase (anagen) a resting phase (telogen) a shedding phase (catagen). Normally about 90% of our hair is in the anagen phase while the remaining 10% is in the telogen phase.
Why Does Covid-19 Cause Hair Loss?
When the body undergoes a significant physical or emotional stressor like Covid-19 the hair growth cycle can be disrupted. This disruption leads to more hair follicles entering the telogen phase resulting in excessive hair shedding. Additionally the inflammation caused by the virus can harm the hair follicles further contributing to hair loss.
Determining the Duration of Hair Loss
The duration of hair loss post-Covid-19 can vary from person to person. In general most individuals experience a temporary shedding of hair which typically starts around two to three months after recovering from the virus. This shedding phase may last for several weeks or even a few months before normal hair growth resumes.
Factors Affecting Hair Regrowth
Several factors can influence how long it takes for hair to regrow after Covid-related hair loss:
- Individual’s health: People with underlying health conditions may experience a longer regrowth period.
- Severity of hair loss: The extent of hair loss can affect the time it takes to recover.
- Diet nutrition: Proper nourishment plays a crucial role in supporting healthy hair regrowth.
- Stress management: Minimizing stress adopting relaxation techniques can promote faster recovery.
Seeking Professional Advice
If you are concerned about hair loss following Covid-19 it is advisable to consult a dermatologist or a trichologist. They can examine your scalp evaluate your condition recommend appropriate treatments or measures to support hair regrowth.
While hair loss can be a distressing side effect of Covid-19 it is generally temporary reversible. Most individuals will experience significant hair regrowth within six to twelve months after recovering from the virus. However maintaining a healthy lifestyle managing stress seeking professional advice can aid the recovery process promote optimal hair regrowth.