How To Reset A Desktop Computer
Resetting a desktop computer can be a useful troubleshooting step to fix software issues or restore the system to its original state. This article will guide you through the process of resetting a desktop computer.
Step 1: Back Up Your Data
Before resetting your computer it is important to back up your important files data to prevent any loss. You can do this by transferring them to an external hard drive cloud storage or USB flash drive.
Step 2: Choose the Right Reset Option
Depending on your computer’s operating system you will have different reset options available. For Windows you can choose either a “Refresh” or “Reset” option while Mac users can perform a “Factory Reset”.
Step 3: Windows – Refresh or Reset
If you are using Windows follow these steps:
- Click on the “Start” menu go to “Settings”.
- Select “Update & Security” click on “Recovery”.
- Under the “Reset this PC” section click on “Get started”.
- Choose between the “Keep my files” (refresh) or “Remove everything” (reset) options.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset process.
Step 4: Mac – Factory Reset
For Mac users here is how to perform a factory reset:
- Restart your Mac hold down the Comm+ R keys until the Apple logo appears.
- Once in the Recovery Mode select “Disk Utility” click on “Continue”.
- Choose your startup disk usually named “Macintosh HD” click on the “Erase” button.
- Select your desired file system format like “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” click on “Erase”.
- Exit Disk Utility once the erasing process is complete select “Reinstall macOS” from the recovery menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall macOS complete the factory reset.
Step 5: Reinstall Applications Restore Data
After resetting your desktop computer you will need to reinstall your desired applications restore your data from the backup you made in Step 1. Make sure to perform this step carefully to ensure all your data is successfully restored.
Resetting a desktop computer can be an effective solution to troubleshoot software issues or restore the system’s original state. By following the steps mentioned in this article you will be able to reset your desktop computer get it up running smoothly again.